Friday, January 02, 2015

The Top Ten of 2014 Part 2

The conclusion of my top ten of the Year of the Horse. Without further ado, I'll continue the countdown at number 5.

5: Running Boston
Running at Boston was a big dream come true for me. It was the end point of a very long journey of training, qualifying and more training to get ready for this event. Boston was the closest that every amateur runner would get to competing in something grand like the Olympic Games, hence why it's dubbed as the People's Olympics. 
My ticket to Boston.
This year's Boston took on a whole new meaning. Instead of celebrating the achievement of the runners who made the pilgrimage to Boston, this time it was all about representing Boston and demonstrating support to those affected by the events of April 15th, 2013. Everyone wanted to be a part of it - runners, spectators, volunteers and those who were directly affected by the bombings. They resolved to train harder to qualify. And if they couldn't meet the qualifying standard, they could represent a charity. The word community shone through on Patriots' Day as everyone - runners, volunteers, spectators - stood as one, together, to show the world that there was a lasting bond that can never be broken.
We run together, Boston strong.
I've read many stories about the Boston experience and it definitely lived up to the hype, from the flying downhill start that killed my quads, the scream tunnel at Wellesley College where girls were waiting for kisses, the famed Newton hills which were tough to climb on trashed quads, and the finish on Boylston Street, one of the best marathon finishing experiences, ever.
Wave 1 of the Boston Marathon starts.
For me, I was coming off a very hard London Marathon only a week earlier so I resolved to run it for the experience. Far from recovered, I just never got going on the downhills and in the first 10 miles. By halfway, my legs felt like they were at mile 20 - tired and heavy - and the first of the fast runners from Wave 2 had caught up to me. Like London, it was also a hot day and, on the Newton hills, I was forced to take the hills slowly. Once Heartbreak Hill was over, the long gradual downhill into the city of Boston felt like a torturous crawl as my legs were crying to stop.
Working hard on Beacon St. Head, legs, body all hurting!
The crowd support in Boston, one year after the Boston Bombings, was simply amazing and I managed to feed off the energy all the way to the end. On a clear blue sky day, the American flag flying proudly above Boylston St, I crossed the line in 3:48:10, over 40 minutes slower than London but extremely grateful that I had the opportunity to run in Boston and to be a part of something bigger. That 3:48:10 was a special moment of time that brought together a unique fabric of emotion, accomplishment and togetherness, and that is what made Boston extremely special this year.
Now a Boston finisher.
All runners were congratulated by spectators left, right and centre. A big American man with a strong Bostonian accent kept saying "Thank You" to all the runners that hobbled past. It was his way of expressing appreciation of the support we demonstrated to Boston one year on and it was a very moving tribute to celebrate the things that make Marathon Monday so great.
Runners running in memory of 8 year old Martin Richard, one of the three who were killed on April 15, 2013.
I will return to Boston again - this time I will master the unique course and its hills and hopefully run a personal best there. Meb Keflezighi, this year's winner and the first American man since 1983, ran his PB there at the grand age of 38.
Meb Keflezighi wins the 118th Boston Marathon, the first American man since 1983.
4. My parkrun birthday party
To celebrate my birthday with my parents and the folks at Reading parkrun down at Thames Valley Park has to be the best birthday party I've had, even trumping my 21st birthday. It was a month of planning and I was so glad to pull it off with the help of some other people who were let in on the secret celebration plans. After all, the next time that my birthday would fall on parkrun day would be in 2025, or when I turn 46. 
A big hug from Louise. She made me run 5k carrying a birthday balloon.
The parents flew up from NZ to help me celebrate my birthday at TVP.
The cake, a few cheeky kids and the birthday boy.
To further add to the celebrations parkrun legends, David Lewis and Phil Nash, were running their 200th parkruns and the timing couldn't have been better. So, we discussed a combined celebration with plenty of cake and champagne, although I did have to make sure that they were both on track for their 200th on the big day. 
The obligatory group photo.
David, Phil and Me, plus some ringers.
The theme for my birthday was The Best of British and Kiwi and I ordered a whole lot of Kiwi snacks from sanza.co.uk, complemented by snacks manufactured in the UK. L&P, Bluebird Salt & Vinegar, Twisties, Burger Rings, Cheezels, Toffee Pops and Tim Tams, as well as treats from local stores, were enjoyed by 271 runners who turned up for the party. For most, it was their first taste of L&P or Toffee Pops. A Pavlova, kindly made by my mum, was the main attraction at the food table and it went down very well, and quickly.
Modelling some treats from NZ.
Champagne was opened and splashed about, star jumps were performed and even the Haka was done by those that were familiar with the Maori tradition.
Splashing some champagne with David Lewis (L) and Phil Nash (R), both new members of the 200 parkruns club.
Laying down the Kiwi challenge!
Star jumps by the river.
Watch the Haka being performed by those at Reading parkrun. This is unseen footage, not yet released from the birthday celebrations...... until now!
Never been released footage of Reading parkrun doing the Haka!

3: Team Kanda take on the Kennet and Avon Canal
The challenge was bigger. the pain was greater. Last year, it was Team Lara. This year, it was Team Kanda, the stylised name of Team Kennet and Avon, to get people together in showing support to our running friend battling Breast Cancer, as well as our loved ones and other women who have to overcome this terrible disease.
David and Emma, the woman who inspired Team Kanda.
Earlier this year, a very good running friend was unexpectedly diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It came as a shock to all of us as she was a runner and healthy person. Her situation was made more touching when she revealed that she had to battle and overcome cancer in the past. What better way to provide support to her, as well as raise awareness and funds for a charity, than to run a huge distance in her honour. The same members that made Team Lara last year formed a new team this year, to heroically take on the entire 87 miles of the Kennet and Avon canal.
Team Kanda a few minutes before kick off. 
Sunrise over the Kennet and Avon Canal.
When taking on big, audacious, challenges you need all the help you can get and I offered to be David's "wingman" on the bike for his entire journey. Like last year's Team Lara campaign, I used Twitter to tweet David's progress in real time and rally everyone behind David's cause, and it worked so well.
Mark and Lucy waiting for us in the morning on the Kennet and Avon Canal to give us breakfast.
The supporters at Newbury
Starting at 00:01 BST at Hanham Lock, near Bristol, and aiming to finish at 19:30 at Thames Valley Park, the first 5 hours were through unknown terrain in total darkness. Eventually we got through the darkness and, during daylight hours, met up with many friends and supporters as we got closer to our destination.
The Pewsey White Horse.
Making our way down the Kennet and Avon Canal.
Team Kanda at Kintbury Lock.
This was no ice bucket challenge. This was the real thing! Both David and I went for over 42 hours without sleep during the weekend. While David suffered physically, I suffered emotionally as I was responsible for his well-being and safety. I was operating on overdrive and on very little (read, lots of sugary food and drink and very little else), and made some dubious decisions on the way. After we passed Newbury, I saw that David was in such a bad shape that I was convinced he wouldn't make it to Reading. I pleaded with him to give up early and call it a day. At that point, David lost his wingman. Just like in Top Gun, Maverick lost Goose.
More supporters waiting for Team Kanda on approach to Newbury.
I'm glad that he didn't give up because, in my heart, I wanted him to succeed. As usual, my head overruled. This wouldn't have been possible without additional helpers who took the flame when I stopped. Maverick flew with Iceman, his new wingman, as well as a dozen other helpers.
The reception at the Cunning Man pub 6 miles out from the finish. 
So close to Thames Valley Park!
In closing, despite my actions late in the day, it couldn't have gone any better for David and Team Kanda. At 23:03, Team Kanda reached Thames Valley Park to a grand reception of friends and supporters. It's no surprise that, at the end of it all when everyone was leaving for home, I broke down and cried uncontrollably. The lack of sleep, the huge amounts of high energy sugary food I ate for the entire time, the decision to make David stop at Newbury and the guilt that I felt in doing so, all compounded on me and I became a total inconsolable wreck. Nothing could stop the tears. Louise, Liz and Andy kindly offered to take care of me as they were concerned for my well-being and state of mind. After a good night's sleep, and the Monday off work, I was back to my best and resumed marathon training straight after.
Team Kanda embrace after completing their mammoth challenge.
The obligatory group photo of Team Kanda.
Overall, Team Kanda raised over £2,500 for Breakthrough Breast Cancer. I think I speak for both of us that we're hugely appreciative of the awesome support and generosity of so many friends. There are rumours that 2015 will have another audacious challenge featuring the usual suspects, but details are still under wraps at this stage. Finally, I leave you with the greatest movie anthem which has influenced Team Kanda heavily. And if 80s fashion just doesn't cut it then just close your eyes and imagine yourself taking on something epic!
Top Gun!

2: Breaking 3 hours in the marathon and achieving all 6 marathon majors
The script writer couldn't have come up with a better ending, with a sub-3 hour marathon time and all 6 World Marathon Majors in the bag, but I'm putting this at a very close 2nd here in this blog entry. I've been working towards a sub-3 hour marathon time for the best part of 5 years and to do it in New York City, the world's biggest stage in marathon running and also one of the toughest courses in the world, is definitely the crowning achievement in my marathon running career. To come away with a grand slam of majors was the icing on the cake.
The moment I broke 3 hours.
Marathon training is a serious commitment for every runner who undertakes the distance, but I think I've gone through more than my fair share as I've had to endure a lot in training, including tons of early mornings, a lot of self sacrifice, a trip to A&E for a suspected toe fracture, various occasions where illness would threaten to get the better of me, coming back from injury the previous year and the many number of times where self-doubt ran rampant in my mind. Although I ran London earlier in the year in a time of 3:04:28, I wasn't sure how much work was required to get under 3 hours, especially with a tough course like New York. To prepare for New York, I basically did the same as London, only better, longer and faster. This equated to more miles and more specificity at marathon pace - at the end of the 14 week training cycle I logged 926 miles, a weekly average of 66 miles or 106 km.
On Willis Avenue Bridge (aka, the Wall) at mile 20, crossing from Manhattan to the Bronx.
The conditions at New York were the toughest I have ever faced, with strong winds all over the 5 boroughs. At various stages on the course, I was either on target or off the pace - being 3 minutes behind target at one stage just after halfway did not look good to the many followers tracking me in real time. However, things started looking up when I reached First Avenue and that was where Louise was waiting for me.
One of the creative cheer signs that Louise held up for me on First Avenue.
I can't discount the effect that Louise had on me in New York City. She was a calming influence when things threatened to go wrong in New York. She provided a helping hand when I needed it - namely, venturing out alone in cold and wet Manhattan to find a shop that sold cheap clothes so that I could wear it at the start line when it was bitterly cold. And she waited patiently for a couple of hours at mile 18 holding a couple of creative cheer signs that she had drawn up over breakfast. I briefly stopped to give her a hug and kiss and it was the ounce of inspiration I needed as those final 8 miles were crucial to success. Slowly, but surely, I clawed back time and increased the safety cushion between my target and actual time. It wasn't easy, in fact it was the hardest 8 miles I've ever had to run. But I managed to respond when the questions were asked of me, and I'm glad that I was mentally tough to close the deal, something I've had major difficulties with in previous marathons.
Central Park at mile 24. Working very hard.
Sprinting for the line.
If the trip to New York City was the best moment of my year 2014, the reception I got back in Reading was the cherry on top. My friends at Reading parkrun pulled together to give me a surprise reception at Thames Valley Park. Cakes, banners, a shout out at the run briefing - so unexpected and so kind. I really felt humbled and blown away at the support I've received throughout this campaign. I couldn't have done it without an amazing team of supporters both at home and in New York City. 
Louise and me with the celebration cake.
All 6 medals of the World Marathon Majors.
Thanks to all those at Reading Roadrunners and Reading parkrun for their support through the years, but a special thanks to Louise for just being there for me throughout this journey and sharing in the thrill that resulted when I broke the 3 hour barrier for the first time.
 
1: Meeting Louise
Not surprisingly, this has to be number 1, plus I think Louise would kill me, or, at the very least, dump me, if it wasn't. Call it a Year of the Horse coincidence but Louise was a horse enthusiast when she was younger. These days, her father is the more serious rider.
Celebrating Louise's birthday parkrun, like a boss!
I'm not going to mention how or when we met, but I can say that Reading parkrun had a definite hand in this. In fact, arrows from Cupid have been flying thick and fast at Thames Valley Park this year with other romances blossoming down by the river. Although I was so impressed with her on first meeting when she sang Happy Birthday in Maori, because I didn't know how to sing it myself. Plus the fact that she owned the old school album by Tim Finn, Bic Runga and Dave Dobbyn, Together in Concert, all the way back in 2000, artists that I love listening to back in New Zealand.
Tim Finn, Bic Runga and Dave Dobbyn, Together in Concert, 2000.

Highlights with her have been many, including: the cycle rides in the summer - in particular helping her train for the London to Brighton Night Ride and my obvious dismay when she didn't bring her puncture repair kit, or the keys to her bike lock; lazy Sundays drinking green tea and Prosecco; the many home-cooked meals; hanging out in London and other places; and the show of support, and more, I got from her during Team Kanda's epic 24 hour adventure. 
Supporting Team Kanda in Kintbury.
But I also can't forget her support during New York City, and her decision to accompany me over there, which she only decided a couple of weeks before race day. It can be said that behind every great man there is a great woman and a lot of the success elements leading up to New York City, and on race day, can be attributed to the Louise Factor.
Beneath the Statue of Liberty, New York City, November 2014.
It's remarkable that at the start of 2014 I had no idea who she was, and the same would go for her. Adding on to that, at the end of 2014, I didn't think I would spend New Years Eve with her, in Canada of all places. I'm so happy that I found her in this big wide world that we live in, and I can't wait to see what 2015 offers as we start walking into the new year together.
At the Reading Roadunners Christmas Party with talented running prodigies, Alexander (L) and Ruben (R).
At the risk of sounding even more soppy, we were playing some Ed Sheeran whilst cooking a meal and this number started playing. I wasn't paying attention to the music at the time and we were just friends at that point, but as we got closer the penny dropped and we've played this song a number of times when enjoying a quiet moment together.
Our song!

Honourable Mention: Receiving help for hypothermia
Not many people know about the close save I received in mid January when I fell into freezing cold floodwater in Dinton Pastures. Being a typical male I cycled through the floodwater without seeing the ditch in the ground that was actually a small stream. When the bike rolled in the ditch, I found myself completely submerged, glasses missing and tears in my jacket. I couldn't see a thing and I knew that it was impossible to find my glasses.

Aside from the fact that I could have drowned if I hit something hard in the water, I also didn't see the resulting hypothermia coming either when the volunteers at Reading parkrun urged me to sit in front of the fire in a nearby cafe. I was weak, couldn't speak clearly and didn't have the awareness that I had hypothermia - it could've ended so badly if they didn't take care of me.

The person that took very special care of me was Reading parkrun event director, Teresa Caswell. She was run director that day and needed to oversee the running of the event, but she spent most of it sitting by the fire with me. Afterwards I was taken back to her place, where I was fed and clothed. Then we took the bus to Reading Town Centre to Specsavers to get a pair of glasses. We left without them as they couldn't give me a pair over the counter. The prospect of no glasses for 3 days was unthinkable so the next day she and her family went to the crash site and managed to find them in the floodwater!

It moved me so much that I wrote this special message.

The next week, I was approached by a few people asking me about my hypothermia experience, including a kindly lady and her daughter. I was so ashamed that I put myself in that situation, so I mostly spoke in short sentences and avoided eye contact with them. I had no idea who they were at the time but, as the year played out naturally, they became my closest friends known as Liz and Louise. Who knows how my 2014 would've panned out if I didn't go through that very traumatic episode!

Epilogue:
This concludes my Top Ten of 2014. I ran my best ever marathon time and bagged all 6 majors. I have been privileged to share in some moments with some special people and have found a lovely lady to be with. I was close to death, but I have learned that when you get a second chance you make the most of it.

With the new year already here in Canada, I'm still thinking how I can top the previous year. I've reached the top for now, but I know there are even further heights for me to climb - I just have to take it, even if it is going to take more than the year 2015 to get there.

I hope that the new year will bring more unforgettable experiences, less nasty surprises, good health (after all we are getting older) and, of course, a faster marathon time! What were your highlights? Equally, what did you struggle with? Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

I want to close with the following quote from C.S. Lewis. There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind. If 2014 was my best year for a long time, then here's hoping that 2015 can be surpass all my expectations.

2 comments:

Me said...

Fantastic Top Ten Aaron, and boy what a year for you. Definitely got it right for number one!! say no more shall I!!

Aaron on the Run! said...

Is that you, Kerry?