Saturday, April 18, 2009

Paving The Road To Berlin

Guten Tag! Wie geht's heute? Mir geht's schlecht...

As I alluded to before, I registered for the Berlin Marathon once I had received my prized £100 limit credit card. The credit card is now superceded by a card with an even bigger limit, so now my holiday roadshow can finally go on the road!

There is still 22 weeks away from the event, but this will hopefully give me enough time to prepare as I have set a lofty goal of sub 3:30:00 to complete it. With a 1:36:40 personal best in the Reading Half Marathon, the lofty goal for Berlin seems somewhat achievable. Maybe I could go even faster, but then again, a lot can happen in 22 weeks. I could lose motivation, I might even get injured, but hopefully it won't happen.

Unfortunately the start of my training has not started as well as I hoped. I had a very busy Easter holiday spending many many many hours in London. So, no time for training then. Once the holidays ended I got sick with a cold, so now I have been staying in bed. And of course, absolutely no training. It was not the ideal start. A few months ago I caught a cold, and it was one of the most sustained periods of illness I have ever endured, so hopefully I won't be so unfortunate this time around.

The Berlin Marathon is a very fast course, having set 3 world records in 2003, 2007 and 2008. So I'm hoping for a good fast time as well. The marathon goes through all the major landmarks in Berlin, so it's like a German history lesson as you run your way around the course. And the marathon also crosses the point where the Berlin Wall once stood, so you cross from East to West Berlin, like the defectors tried to do when fleeing the East. The finish line is near the Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor), it will be an absolute thrill running under this very famous European landmark as you sprint towards the finish. Finally the Berlin Marathon is one of the big five events that comprise the World Marathon Majors, the others being Boston, Chicago, London and New York. What an achievement it would be to do all those other races. It will be some time though, as entry into Boston, London and New York is very competitive.

Sehr Gut! I'm so excited for this event, I really cannot contain myself. But for now, I need to shake off this damn cold. Rest and recovery is the order of the day, I'm afraid.

Bis Später!

No comments: